by: Edge Dulatas
Eat. Surf. Sleep. Repeat
This is where all it started
My friend (Jinkee) asked me to go with her to Siargao….. Since I haven’t ride a plane my whole life. I said yes!
One day before our trip, she said she couldn’t make it. All my bags are packed (…. and I’m ready to go…)
Wait……. What?????? Seriously? I thought it was joke. It wasn’t. 😭😭😭
To cut the long story short….. I’m alone!
- First time to go to the airport✔️
- First time to a ride a plane✔️
- First time to go alone in an island✔️
- First time to explore Philippines ✔️
- First time to realize I can do a lot of things ✔️
Honestly, I couldn’t sleep…. It was truly filled of mixed emotions. At first, I was so afraid… But then I realized how free I am to do the things I never thought of doing.
My officemate (Thanks Ate Joan!) referred a hotel. ARKA HAYAHAY. The owner is her cousin. Special thanks to them (Lea and Caryl May). They gave me a discount and they joined me for dinner and for the island tours.
I started my Day One just watching at the beautiful waves of Cloud9. I was speechless!
Surfing? Siargao is the best place for you. It’s good for non-surfers too! (Like me! Haha) The waves are really amazing. I can watch it all day. It’s relaxing. You feel free! And I realized, the Philippines is so beautiful!
Magpupungko Rock Pool
Sooo….. Is it a high-tide or a low-tide???
In order for it to transform into a rock pool, we need to wait for a low tide.
That’s around 11am. It is 1 hour habal-habal ride from General Luna. This is the highlight of my Siargao trip! It is a MUST-SEE, I promise!
- Habal is the main transportation in Siargao. It can accommodate 3 passengers.
- Naked Island
- 8:30am Manila-Cebu (Cebu Pacific roundtrip Manila-Cebu-Siargao Php4,427.04)
- 10:00am Brunch at Cebu Airport
- 1:00pm Siargao Airport
- 2:00 General Luna (45 minutes van ride from the airport Php150)
- 2:30pm Check in at Hotel (Arka Hayahay Php1,600/ night aircon room; Php500/bed fan room)
- 3:00pm rest / freshen up
- 4:00pm Cloud 9 (habal- habal Php20/ rent a bicycle/ rent a motorcycle)
- 7:00pm Dinner at La Luna
- 9:00pm walk back to hotel (no lights along the road;don’t worry it’s safe)
- 6:00am breakfast (yep! I wake up early on vacay… haha)
- 7:00am Walk around Cloud 9
- 8:00am Surfing (Php500/ hour)
- 10:00am On the way to Magpupungko Tidal Flats (45 mins habal habal ride Php700)
- 11:00am Magpupungko Rock pool (entrance Php50)
- 4:00pm freshen up/ rest
- 7:00pm Dinner at Mama’s Grill; The best Sinugba ever! I swear! (Php 150 grilled Marlin)
- 6:30am Mass (Siargaonon/Bisaya huhuhuhu I can’t understand)
- 8:00am Malinao Beach (rent habal habal Php200)
- 12:00noon Island hopping (Php1,500 boat rental for sharing)
- Naked Island
- 4:00pm it’s raining
- 7:00pm Dinner at Ronaldo’s (Php200)
- 10:00pm Videoke
- 7:00am Breakfast
- 8:00am Swim at beachfront (be careful of the rock formation)
- 10:00am Check out / Van ride to the airport (Php150)
- 1:30pm Siargao to Cebu
Will post another blog for my Cebu side trip….
Every trip, i make sure to get a good massage! I just requested for a massage service in the hotel!👍🏻 Php500/hr
- You should go in groups (it’s cheaper) (and it’s hard to look for boat group sharing)
- Bring everything you need coz there are limited stores (the place is not commercialized which is a good thing)
- Reef-based surfing so don’t expect it will be smooth as sand everytime you fall
- Bring cash with you (there is no atm)
- I’m not sure but I didn’t see a hospital, gas station, mercury drugstore, convinience store etc…. There is a grocery store in General Luna
- Always save emergency numbers
- The locals are very friendly 👌🏻
- Surfing and tours are organized by the hotel, so it’s hassle free
Photos were all mine. iphone only.
Thanks for reading!